Nothing compares to the euphoria you feel once you get inside a cool and comfortable home while it’s scorching hot day outside. This is probably one of the main reasons why homeowners and business owners alike agree that air conditioners are indeed a worthwhile investment but like many other things, your air conditioning system needs TLC too. Doing this doesn’t only ensure that you’re air conditioning unit will run smoothly, it will also help you save money in the long run.
Are you aware that your home’s heating and cooling system covers half of the utility bill?If you notice that your air conditioning is not functioning properly, then you might want to do a thorough check up to determine what’s wrong. Having a great cooling system can also be advantageous if you’re planning on selling a property. When a building inspector doeshis routine check-up, a defective air conditioning system might just ruin your chances of selling it at a higher price.
Your home’s air conditioning system is what keeps you cool during the hot summer days. With the energy costs rising every year, it’s vital to keep a good eye on your appliances. Otherwise, you’d end up with a high electricity bill.
How Can You Make Your Air Conditioner Efficient?
If you want to save on your power bill then you need to take precautionary measures to maintain your air conditioning unit. Here are some maintenance tips you can do to keep your air conditioners running efficiently:
- Clean Out the Vents Accumulated debris on the vents of your air conditioning system can make the unit work twice as hard to be able to emit cool air. Check it the vents are clogged or obstructed. If you see debris piling up, vacuuming will help clear it out. It’s also important to keep it away from things that could block the air. Even if you clear it out, it still won’t be able to efficiently cool the room if it’s blocked with pieces of furniture or toys. Keep the area of the vent free from any obstructions.
- Close The Blinds And Cover The Windows When sunlight enters the room through the windows it will invite heat and warmth and inevitably reduce the efficiency of your cooling system. Drawing your blinds during the day can help prevent the sun from shining directly into your window and warming your home.Another helpful tip to remember is to make sure to keep your curtains or blinds down when you go out to work. This will ensure that your home will stay cool while you’re away.
- Increase Your A/C’s Thermostat During hot days, you can increase the temperature by a few degrees. This will help you save energy since it prevents your unit from working too hard. Start by changing the temp every one to two days, this will give your family enough time to adjust to the changes.Central air conditioned units also come with programmable thermostat, which you can control if you’re out at work. If you’re not at home, you can program your thermostat and increase the temperature by 5-8 degrees – enough to keep your home cool while you’re out. This method is a great way to extend the life of your unit and maintain its efficiency.
- Keep Heat Generating Appliances Away From Your Thermostat Appliances such as ovens and lamps produce heat. Chances are, when they’re placed near the air conditioner, it will give the thermostat the impression that the room is warm it will then decrease the temperature in order to cool the room. This can make your air conditioning unit work doubly hard to maintain the coolness of the room. Air conditioning technicians know this and will install your thermostat as far away from a heat-generating area.
- Change Your Filters Dust and dirt are usually the primary culprits when it comes to an inefficient air conditioning system. It’s important to check your filters every now and then to see if dusts have been building up. These dusts often cause stress on your entire a/c system and prevent it from working properly. Make it a habit of replacing old air filters. Air conditioning filters can easily be bought at hardware stores. Just ensure that you get the right filter size to save an extra trip back.
When air conditioners are properly maintained and cared for it will provide you and your family cooling comfort during hot summer days. While these maintenance tips will come in handy, engaging in air conditioning professionals at least once a year will help ensure that your a/c system is in a good shape.